Professional photographers freeze the thrills and spills of adventurous moments with an action cameras like GoPro, Insta 360, DJI Osmo, etc. Though these cameras are designed for adventurous photography, they can be damaged in the spur of the game of bad weather like heavy rain, extreme snowfall, or heavy wind. That’s where the action camera protector comes into play because it is designed to safeguard the action camera from being damaged by such an incident or any accident.
This blog will break down everything involved with Action Camera Protector to help you safeguard your loving action camera. Let’s dive into the details.
To sum up, I will discuss the action camera protector with their types and benefits. I will also share a few action camera protector features with the use and maintenance. Last but not least, I will guide you in selecting a proper action camera from the list. The following topics will cover all the details:
- What Is an Action Camera Protector?
- Types of Action Camera Protector
- Best Action Camera Protector
- How to Use Action Camera Protector
- Maintenance of Action Camera Protectors
- Benefits of Using Action Camera Protector
- Drawbacks of Action Camera Protector
- Facts to Consider for an Action Camera Protector
- Action Camera Protector Impact Picture Quality?
So keep reading to explore the idea.
What Is an Action Camera Protector?
Action Camera Protector is a technical accessory explicitly developed to protect action cameras from scratches or impacts of environments while photographing adventurous outdoor activities. It also ensures the camera’s longevity and performance in snapping thrilling activities.
These protectors are made of durable plastic, rubber, silicone, or metal material to protect the camera. It comes in different shapes and sizes based on the camera model, with the features of shock absorption, scratch or water resistance, effortless control, etc. Moreover, a few protectors have a built-in pad for an LCD screen, an anti-glare screen, additional battery power, and braces to connect the camera to different surfaces.
These protectors act as a barrier between the camera and harmful conditions of intense, underwater, or high-impact activities where the camera risks getting damaged. Considering different attributes, try to buy one that fits your budget and needs with a warranty and money-back guarantee.
Best Action Camera Protectors
Photographers or vloggers use action cameras to capture outdoor activities like surfing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain climbing, etc. No matter how expensive the action camera they use to capture thrilling moments, it can get damaged by cracking and scratching. Therefore, it’s wise to use an Action Camera Protector.
A bunch of Action Camera Protectors are available in the market based on camera model, features, price, and types. Here I am sharing Best Action Camera Protector & Cases in 2024 based on the protector type to keep your action camera safe and steady while photographing.
A) Screen And Lens Protectors:
Under the Screen And Lens Protectors, here are two model descriptions provided:
#1. Tempered Glass Lens and Screen Protector for GoPro: Spending on high-quality lenses and screen protectors for GoPro cameras is not a rocket science investment. Purchasing a Tempered Glass Lens and Screen Protector for GoPro is a win-win situation since it protects the screen and lens while improving camera performance. It is designed for GoPro Hero 9, 10, and 11, which comes with the following features:
- Bubble-free easy installation and removal without affecting the touch-screen’s sensitivity.
- The tempered glasses ensure 99.9% transparency without losing image quality.
- 9H hardness Glass protectors shield the screen and lens against knocks and scratches.
- 0.3mm thick glass provides a crystal clear view and doesn’t add extra thickness or weight.
- It has 3 tempered screen protectors for the lens, rear, and front screen display.
The Tempered Glass Lens and Screen Protector for GoPro has limited compatibility since you can use it for only GoPro Hero 9, 10, and 11 models. Additionally, you won’t get any warranty or lens cap. However, it is affordable, and you won’t regret buying it.
#2. Glass Lens and Screen Protector For DJI Osmo Action 3: If you own a DJI Osmo action camera, you should know that this requires a robust and durable screen protector. The Glass Lens and Screen Protector For DJI Osmo Action 3 comes into play for you. It comes with the following features:
- Easy installation without bubbles.
- Equips with a lint-free cloth to ensure a dust-free screen.
- Super thin protector lets the user enjoy an HD transparency view.
- LCD screen displays images clearly and doesn’t affect touch-screen sensitivity.
- 9H hardness protects the screen and lens from getting scratched.
- Intact glass flakes around the screen protect the camera from hard knocks.
- The screen protector’s rounded-off edges ensure it won’t slip out of the screen.
B) Hard Case:
Under the Hard Case Protectors, here are two model descriptions provided:
#1. Amazon Basics Small Carrying Case for GoPro: Amazon has launched Amazon Basics Small Carrying Case, which is well-known to professional photographers because it is the most suitable choice for any GoPro version. Its durable, spacious design protects the camera and provides space to organize accessories. Let’s know more about its features:
Provide small and large carrying cases with durable zippers and handles.
- The protective case is made of polyester.
- Compatible with all GoPro cameras to protect and organize.
- Pre-cut slots with foam pads hold the gear in position.
- Wifi connectable Remote option to adjust angles by spinning 180 degrees.
- Useable in rain, snow, or any weather
- Adaptable wrist strap and carabiner to secure the pole to the wrist
The case is specially designed for U.S. customers. Its unique features and spacious design make it an excellent option for many professionals.
#2. TEKCAM Carrying Case: The TEKCAM action camera appears in simple black color with a basic design. Its features are given below:
- The case is available in 3 sizes- large, medium, and small.
- Compatible with GoPro 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 versions, Brave 4, 7, 8 versions, APEMAN, AKASO EK700, Campark, and Dragon Touch action cameras.
- The external body is produced with an airtight nylon component.
- Internal inbuilt cuts with foam padded hold the accessories firmly.
- Another part comes with a net to store accessories.
- Light in weight and easy to carry with a handle or as a backpack.
The bag is waterproof in any weather, but some people complained about the zipper.
C) Silicone Case:
Under the Silicone Case Protectors, here are two model descriptions provided:
#1. PGYTECH Silicone Rubber Case for Osmo Action 3: To save your Osmo Action 3 camera, PGYTECH has brought a solution with Silicone Rubber Case. It comes with the following features:
- The soft, flexible case protects the camera from scratches and dust.
- It doesn’t affect transparency or sensitivity.
- Excellently fit camera to ensure slip-free grip.
- The precise shape of switches and ports equip comfortable use.
- The cable hole allows connecting a belt or clip for easy carrying.
- It offers dual-screen, 4K, HDR, and EIS features.
The flexible case fits only the Osmo Action 3 and might not be compatible with some tripod heads or plates. Moreover, it doesn’t offer any warranty. However, it is affordable to buy and easy to use.
#2. Silicone Body Case for GoPro Hero 11 Black 10, 9: Are you afraid of scratching while using a GoPro action camera for extreme activities? The silicone Body Case for GoPro is there to rescue you, which competes with GoPro Hero 11, 10, and 9 with the following features:
- Easy installation and removal.
- The flexible full-cover shell keeps the camera protected.
- A comfy grip ensures easy holding without slipping during extreme activity.
- Anchors with precise cutouts for switches and ports.
- The cord hole allows easy connection for the belt
The case is only compatible with GoPro 9, 10, and 11 versions. For the other version, you have to look for another protector. Moreover, it does not facilitate the warranty. However, it is user-friendly and affordable to buy.
D) Waterproof Cases:
Under the Waterproof Cases Protectors, here are two model descriptions provided:
#1. Kuptone Waterproof Case for GoPro: Kuptone Waterproof Cases are compatible with GoPro Hero 9, 10, and 11. Here are the features of this case:
- The case is made of solid and robust material
- Keeps GoPro safe even underwater
- The strong Bracket mount lets attaching the case to the gear.
- Water-resistant and shockproof
The dropline of the Kuptone Waterproof Case is that it is heavy to carry and comes with limited compatibility.
#2. Smatree Waterproof Hard Case: Smatree waterproof hard case is a good option for GoPro Hero and DJI Osmo action camera gear’s safety during travel. Let’s know more features of it:
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS material) made case is waterproof and shockproof.
- External size is 14 cm x 24.5 cm x 7cm; without foam, the internal measure is 21cm x 11.5 cm x 40cm.
- The interior foam keeps the gears protected and positioned.
- Robust hinges and clasps make the case durable, and an airtight seal protects gears from dust or water.
- 3 colors are available for choice- Green, Black, and Yellow.
- Lanyard coil lets you attach a belt or backpack.
- The case is compatible with GoPro Hero 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and 5 versions of DJI Osmo.
The Smartree case is heavy and doesn’t have a built-in screen to check the filming. However, you can use GoPro’s LCD Touch BacPac to solve it.
Learn More: Facts to Consider for an Action Camera Protector
How to Use Action Camera Protector
All action cameras have a strong constitution, but if you care about the asset, you must use an Action Camera Protector to add longevity to your device. After learning about the Action Camera Protector, you may wonder how to use it in your action camera. Here I am sharing the process step by step.
- Clean the lens and screen carefully using a microfiber cloth. Make sure the surface is free of dust or fingerprints.
- Place the sticky backing aside from the protector carefully so that your finger doesn’t touch the glue leaving dirt on the shell.
- Carefully align the protector over the camera lens and screen to ensure straightness.
- Using a flat object, press the protector onto the camera lens and screen slowly to vanish air bubbles. You can use a credit card or spatula as a flat object.
- Repeat the process if there are still a few air bubbles. Push the bubbles toward the protector’s edge to make the surface wrinkle-free.
- After ejecting air bubbles, recheck if the protector is aligned with the camera lens and screen.
- Finally, clean up the remaining dust again with a microfiber cloth to ensure a dust free surface.
Three cheers! Following the instruction, you have learned Action Camera Protector installation successfully. Now you can protect your action camera from dust, scratches, and damage! Isn’t it a piece of cake to cook carefully?
Learn More: You need an action camera microphone for better sound in the video. Check out the Best Action Camera Microphone Attachment for a suitable one.
Maintenance of Action Camera Protectors
Action camera protectors safeguard your camera lens and screen from scrapes, dust, or environmental risks. Shouldn’t you take care of this helpful protector? Now I will discuss how you can take maintenance of the Action camera protectors. Here are the tips:
- Test Before Use: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions while installing the action camera protector. After installation, test to ensure it doesn’t block the camera lens or affect footage quality. If it does, adjust the issue. Check the seal and lock for a waterproof case to ensure they are tight enough to absorb shock and resist water.
- Store Properly: After using the camera, keep it clean and dry by removing dust, dirt and wiping off the water. Then store it in a dry place away from direct sunlight or heat to prevent damage to the camera and its protector.
- Clean Protector: You must keep the protector dust-free so it doesn’t impact the footage. Gently brush the protector using a soft cloth with a camera lens cleaning solution. Don’t use harsh chemicals or press the protector too hard because they will scratch or sabotage it.
- Check and Replace Protector: After using it for a long time or adventurous photography, you must check the protector to see if it has been damaged. If damaged, you should replace the protector with a compatible new one.
- Carefully Remove Old Protector: If you have used the protector for a long time and want to replace it, don’t remove it directly. Long-time use might cause the protector to get stuck on tightly. Careless removal can harm the screen. So, warm up the sticky protector using a hairdryer or heat gun and then peel it off slowly.
Learn More: Benefits of Using Action Camera Protector
Drawbacks of Action Camera Protector
Well, I have discussed all the good sides of Action Camera Protector so far. We have learned that the action camera protector is protective and helpful for an action camera. But as we know, there is no unmixed blessing on the earth. Therefore, the action camera protector has some very silly drawbacks, but you should know them before using it so that it doesn’t disappoint you later. Let’s know their flaws-
- Adds Extra Weight- Since you are about to use the Action Camera Protector over the action camera, it adds extra weight to the camera.
- Expensive- Some protectors are costly to buy.
- Not one size fits all Protectors are not one size fits all. Moreover, some action camera protectors are only available for a few models.
- Reduce sound quality– You might hold the camera how you feel comfortable while making a video. Often Doing video might reduce the sound quality if it can’t cover the microphone.
- Extra Care: Action Camera Protector Cries out for extra care for cleaning and maintenance to keep the protector clean and free of debris
Action Camera Protector Impact Picture Quality?
Using an Action Camera Protector is essential to ensure the camera’s safety. While using Action Camera Protector, the first question comes into mind is- will the Action Camera Protector impact the image quality?
The impact of the camera protector on the picture quality depends on the Action Camera Protector’s quality and the material it is made of. Installation and maintenance are other reasons for the Action Camera Protector to impact image quality.
If you select a lower-grade camera protector made of plastic or install the protector incorrectly, you will experience reduced-quality images or video with awful sound. The poor-quality lens protector makes images or videos imperfect by blocking light from reaching the sensor, distracting the autofocus system, and minimizing efficiency.
On the contrary, correctly installing a high-quality action camera protector with tempered glass or optical-grade plastic maximizes the image or video quality by assembling a protective layer on the screen. Make sure there is no dirt on the lens while installing the protector. Properly installing a high-quality waterproof protector will ensure good-quality photos even under water. The sound might be awful if you use the inbuilt microphone.
To come to the point, you should buy an Action Camera Protector at a budget-friendly price prioritizing the quality. Remember, a high-quality protector with the correct model installation can ensure a better image.
Every photographer loves their camera and prioritizes its safety. Action cameras are a valuable asset for them to photograph exciting activities with more chance of damage. Action Camera Protector comes here as a shield to protect the camera from external damage, dirt, or water and endure the camera performance.
Through the blog, I have shared all the possible details about this Action Camera Protector with its importance and use processes. Follow the details and implement them to save your devoted camera for a long time. Freeze thrill moments, keeping the camera safe!
Did the blog help you in any way? Share your feedback in the comment box. Check out my other blogs if you like-